|Code of Ethics|
If I breed my bitch or use my stud dog in service, I agree to keep accurate records of stock, matings, and pedigrees and to register my breeding stock with the A.K.C
I agree to use for breeding only those Rottweilers in good health, which have OFA normal x-rays with certification number of foreign equivalent if acquired after 24 months of age (OFA to be obtained within 6 months of import), no disqualifying faults and no departure from the official AKC Rottweiler Standard. I also agree not to use for breeding monorchid or cryptorchid dogs or Rottweilers with one of the following known inheritable defects: undershot or overshot bites;more than one noneruptive or missing adult tooth; ectropion or entropion; long or curly coats; unsound temperaments such as extreme shyness, nervousness or viciousness; excessive white markings as described in the Standard or any other disqualifying markings; cataracts.
As owner of a bitch, I will have her tested brucellosis free prior to each breeding. I further agree I will not permit my bitch to produce litters in three consecutive seasons.
As owner of a stud dog, I will have him tested to be brucellosis free prior to
breeding. Testing should be repeated each time stud is presented to a different bitch.
When a bitch has failed to conceive after being bred to one of my stud dogs, I may allow
one repeat service, at such time and place as are mutually agreed to by owner of the bitch
and myself, provided that the stud dog is still in good health and available, or to
another male that I may own assuming that this is agreeable with both parties. I will
encourage the use of a contract when breeding to my stud dog.
- I will actively support breeders who conform to this code. I will refuse to sell to dog wholesalers, brokers, and/or retailers. I will not donate a Rottweiler for raffle purposes. I will not sell to any home if I have reason to believe the puppy or dog will not have proper care.
- I will use a sales contract or written agreement with any sale involving a dog to the best of my ability, I will state clearly to a buyer whether the puppy or dog being sold is potentially a show or pet prospect.
- I will not release puppies before they are seven weeks of age, and only will full knowledge that they are healthy and have has the required medical inoculations and care.
- I will give buyers of puppies or adults dogs accurate health, breeding and registration records, at least four generation pedigree and copies of sire and dams certification. I will withhold registration papers for a dog which is suspected of carrying a serious fault that would make it detrimental to the breed, or until rendered incapable of reproducing (proof required per veterinarian's letter)
- I will adhere to the terms of my sales agreement or written contract with the buyer following the general practice of breeders that any puppy sold as show prospect, which subsequently develops hip dysplasia or a disqualifying defect shall be:
1) replaced by the breeder with another show prospect puppy; or
2) returned to the breeder who will then refund the sales price; or
3) retained by the buyer, with the buyer's money being refunded by the breeder in an amount previously agreed upon at the time of initial sale, after the breeder has received a veterinarian's certificate that the dog has been rendered incapable of reproduction; or
4) any other mutually agreeable alternative made between buyer and breeder
- I will urge my puppy purchasers to provide obedience training at the proper age. I will also encourage my puppy purchasers to render incapable of reproducing any dog which has disqualifying or serious faults.
I agree that my advertising, oral and written, shall be factual and not worded so as to attract undesirable buyers, or to encourage the raising of purebred Rottweilers as an easy money scheme.
VII. GENERAL CONDUCT AND SPORTSMANSHIP
I shall conduct myself at all times in a manner which will reflect credit upon me and the breed, regardless of the location or circumstances, but especially when attending dog shows, trials, either as an exhibitor or spectator.
I agree I will not have members of my household participating in the activities that are contradictory to the principles set forth in this code.
If I should become aware of the maltreatment,. misuse or need for relocation of any Rottweiler, I will notify any or all of the following for resolution of the problems: the correct authorities in my area are, the breeder, and the local Rescue League.
I understand and agree that upon receipt of sufficient proof of violations of this Code of Ethics, the Board of Directors will proceed according to the Constitution of the GULFSTREAM ROTTWEILER CLUB.
All Applicants must sign the COE _________________________________________ Date______________________
© 1998 - 2001 Gulfstream Rottweiler Club of Greater Miami, Inc